This whole basic bitch thing has gone so far that it’s starting to lose it’s negative connotation.
Urban Dictionary describes a basic bitch as; “an bum-ass woman who thinks she’s the shit but she really ain’t”. Since Lil Duval coined the term basic bitch the definition of basic has evolved. “Basic” has been defined by Urban Dictionary as “an adjective describing any person, place, behavior or dress that is obscenely obvious”. Before the term basic took on a life of it’s own my “basic white girl” understanding of it was unoriginal, lacking style, and if it was used to describe a person…that person was doing a whole lot of nothing with their life. Now common things everyone likes are suddenly uncool because they are basic and bow I’m kind of ok with my basic-ness.
1. The infamous Pumpkin Spice Latte – ok we get it everyone likes it…because it’s delicious…not because were not original enough to order something else….enough said.
2. Ugg boots…they are cute, comfy and trendy. And hell I even made the trend my own by rocking coral uggs. So now you’re trying to tell me it’s basic and uncool to follow trends…aren’t we kind of contradicting ourselves here…I think so!
3. Lauren Conrad is famous for her basic bitchiness. Last time I checked it wasn’t standard for teen girls to star in a reality TV show in high school and then create there own fashion line, becoming a style icon…should I go on?
4. I read in the latest issue of Cosmo that liking New Years Eve makes you basic. It’s a national holiday, a fresh start, and an excuse to wear an excessive amount of sequins! What wrong with that!? (However if you say you’re resolution is to lose weight, then you’re basic…that’s so unoriginal come on.)
4. This brings me to my next point even Cosmo is rebelling against negativity surrounding being a basic bitch…isn’t Cosmo like the girl code bible!? In my opinion they are about two seconds from giving all of us basic bitches the fun, fearless, female award! Just sayin’.
5. PINK…Girls like it because it’s comfy, guys like it because there is nothing like a booty in yoga pants. They have a style and color for any mood you’re in from sporty to sparkly. Dear Basic Bitch police please stop messing with the system. The VS Pink line is a crowd pleaser!
6. I now live in fear of all my favorite things becoming basic…. If Michael Kors is referred to as basic I will hunt that person down.
7. Ordering a Cosmo… Apparently ordering one let’s your bartender know you’re basic. I’m pretty sure Carrie Bradshaw would disagree…I rest my case.
8. Pretty much all good TV shows …from Sex and the City to the Real World…now this is just getting ridiculous people. If you say you don’t like trashy TV you’re lying to yourself and everyone else and that’s all there is to it. Admit it even if you think you’re the baddest most original bitch out there you still love a good Gilmore Girls episode or you’ve committed a piece of Carrie Bradshaw’s sage love advice to memory. Even if you say you only watch KUWTK to Kim then you’re just as guilty and basic as the rest of us!
9. Names…really…were at fault for our parents poor choices?? I now shed a tear for all girls named Ashley because they were cursed from birth with the title of basic bitch. Does anyone else think this is a little much? Just me? Ok then.
10. And finally the infamous mess bun. The once cute, chic go to look that said I’m absolutely adorable with out trying has now been added to the constantly growing list of things that make us basic.
All things considered if these make me basic than I don’t wanna be bad!